< Travelogue: Alone in Taiwan PT 1 >

Elo elo everyone. 

I am finally back to my own crib safe and sound after travelling from TW - MY - BKK - SG - MY and back to SG again. August has been a fruitful yet exciting month for me cause I am able to travel alone to TW and spend some quality time with mom in BKK discovering nice cafes, foods and get some crazy shopping done *evil smile* before I start working in Sept. And yes, you got it right, I was travelling alone to TW for 10 days in total and I am so happy I can actually unchecked one of the things on my bucket list.


 Travelling alone isn't as hard/dangerous/lonely/pity (or whatsoever you named it)  as what you think. I guess it's a lifelong experience and only for those who try it will know. The moment when you are ready to muster all of your courage to step on a foreign land whereby you only have limited knowledge about that country and the culture they have, you know that it's gonna be exciting cause you're able to take your own sweet time to experience the culture and explore the country by your own. Friendly locals or helpful strangers that you meet along the journey will make feel secure and make you feel like you are in your own country despite you're actually thousand miles away from home. You take no responsibility in term of where to go, when to depart and what to eat for the day.  What I can say is what your heart wants, just go for it. I don't have initial planning for my days in TW. I just have pretty rough ideas on which tourist spots I want to visit and I will consult the frontdesk beforehand. If I think I have sufficient time and the weather on that day itself is pleasant, I will just go for it. This makes me realised that impromptu plans are always the best plans. This completely change my thinking because previously I used to plan my itinerary in very meticulous manner and I will feel really blue if I am unable to visit any places as stated in my itinerary. Now you can see how travelling alone can change my way of thinking. :') I guess I will just go a country with minimum planning now. haha. You will enjoy getting lost in the middle of hustle bustle city and stop by any cafes that you like for a tea break and most importantly, you don't get blame for walking into the wrong direction.

I guess it's enough for listing down all the perks of travelling alone. And now it's time for some Q&As. 

Q: Why would you decided to travel alone?
A: It's really hard to find a common time to travel with my friends because all of us have different schedule. Some are studying and don't have holidays, some have to work and can't apply leaves, so I decided to travel alone. Been reading some articles and blogs on how fun of travelling alone urge me to try so badly. The trip that full uncertainties is going to be the most memorable trip in your life.

Q: Is Taiwan considers a safe country to travel alone?
A: Yes it's! Locals are quite friendly and they will help you whenever you need it.  Plus I can speak and read Chinese, so I guess it's safe to travel alone cause they can understand me well when I need their helps.

Q: Why would you choose TW?
A: This is actually my third times been to TW and I'm still loving it because of the culture, people, foods and shopping there. And I'm glad that I'm able to make it for other parts of TW except Taipei,which are Tainan and Kaohsiung.

Q: Where do you stay throughout the whole trip?
A: I booked youth hostel (female dorm to be precise) since they are so much cheaper if compared to hotels. Besides, I can mix around with friends that come from different countries And from that You can actually discovered that it's very common to travel alone now and some of them even started to travel alone around the globe since they are only 18 y/o. I should have done this earlier ehhh. 

Q:Who help you to take pictures?
A: I guess the major barrier of travelling alone is no one can help you take nice photos, so I actually brought two cameras with me (GoPro and Sony A5000) and a mini tripod with me. Ooops and don't forget to set your timer. I am happy with all my photos, but sometimes you can actually opt for help from others too. They will be willing to help you I'm sure.

Q: Will you be travelling alone again?
A: Yes, a big YES! I can't wait to plan for my next destination. *throwing confetti* 

Now it's time for my travelogue! I can finally share all my joyous moments in TW here after editing and compiling all of the photos. Oh and I will be splitting it into two parts whereby I will make Kaohsiung and Tainan in one complete post and the other will be solely on Taipei + accommodation details.

Let's get started, okay...   :)


Hoooolah! It's my Day 1 in TW and a shameless selfie in my room.


Flew by CX this time.


Dumplings and dry noodles for lunch. I am so hungry now by just looking at this pic cause they served really nice dumplings. The fillings are so juicy oh my god.


THSR station while waiting for my train en route to Kaohsiung city . 


The famous railway bento. By just looking at the queue you know it's worth for a try.


One of the iconic place in Taipei whereby you are able to catch the train or high speed rail to other parts of TW.


I guess it's time for at least one mandatory touristy shot in front of this iconic place in Taipei.

Here is my advice for those who are planning to talk HSR, you can purchase the ticket in advance via their official website to get early bird discount. And I got mine 20% cheaper.


Everyone is having their quick lunch while waiting for departure. 


Went down to the platform quite early so just in time for another mandatory shoot again.



It's so comfortable and spacious. Meeeeeee like it very much.


Heeello from Kaohsiung after 2 hours of train ride..


Continue my day in Fongyi Academy. 





My casual and comfy OOTD from Nineteen89boutique and Monki respectively.




Straight away rush to Rui Feng night market to hunt for local foods as well as dinner. This night market is considered as the greatest night market in the city and please make sure that you keep your tummy empty because most of the stalls are offering good foods. 


Stumbled upon a smelly toufu shop. 
And I finally realised one of the disadvantages of travelling alone is that the portion of their food is quite big. So by the time you finish this, your tummy will have no space for others.  




And this is the famous pineapple shrimp ball. 



After spending almost 2 hours walking and shopping in the night market, I decided to give this restaurant a try cause I see most of the locals dine in there. And by the time I look at the menu, I totally understand why cause this sizzling hot plate only cost me NT 120. Not only that, you are entitled to get their drinks and mushroom soup FOC. 


Day 2 in Kaohsiung city. 


Walked for almost half and hour to find this highly raved fast food shop (Dan Dan Burger)  that only available in the South part of TW ( mainly Kaohsiung and Tainan). 


Happily sipping on my iced milk tea.


Graffitis in some alleys.



Headed to Cijin Island, a beautiful and peace island. 






And last stop of the day is Liuhe Night Market which located just a stone away from my hostel. 

Here's me having papaya milk. 



Local delicacies which known as 棺材板.


Was supposed to leave Tainan after spending 2 nights in Kaohsiung but who knows Soudelor  typhoon decided to hit the whole Taiwan. Thus I was forced to extend my stay in Kaohsiung and basically spending some "me moment" in my hostel watching drama.  


Since I can't go anywhere due to the fact that the wind was was was really super duper strong and raining heavily, I only able to go 7 eleven nearby my place to grab my breakfast. Don't intend to such heavy breakfast but... pastries were all out of stock so I have no choice..  


And this is my lunch in... 7 eleven again.. Something western this time hehe.. Got myself an instant carbonara and sausage..


What about dinner?The famous braised pork rice for only NT 35.. Such a great deal! I would like to have another bowl now cause my stomach growl like mad..


#MIRRORSELFIE plus #MYOOTD. 
Finally the rain stopped and able to catch my train to Tainan. 


Another 45 mins from Kaohsiung to Tainan. Look how happy am I after being "jailed" in the hostel after one whole day..


Greetings from Tainan city.


Check in my place and get everything settled. My baggage and myself to get some make up done. Oh yea, This is how my dormitory look like. It feels like home I don't know why. 


Quickly get out of my room to grab my lunch. Look like I can't skip any meals huh? haha..


And this melon shaved ice is soooooooo good. Superb.. I can't describe but it was really too good/beyond my expectations and special.. 

Will I go back again for this? Of course! ASAP please. 



Dinner with my friends in Tainan.. They brought me to try the beef soup (slices beef in a soup broth) and a side of rice for only NT 100! I can't imagine if I am able to stay longer in Tainan. I am gonna fat like a pig when I return cause I need to have at least 4 meals a day including supper haha.. 


Morning Tainan! Decided to go to their market and buy breakfast for myself before leaving to Taipei. 



Nooooooo I can't drive a scooter.. But my friend is so kind cause they allow me to get on their scooters brought me out for dinner and shopping last night. It's my first time sitting on scooters in TW thooooo..  What a great experience I can say..


Thank you for your great hospitality. I am sure we will meet again soon.. :") *lettingoutjoyfultears


On the train that heading toTainan THSR. The weather was too hot so I allow myself to get some cold ice lemon tea as reward.. haha..


Good bye Tainan, You've been nothing short of amazing.. 


I guess I should stop writing here and see you at the next post. Stay tuned!

Thank you so much for reading ( even though I don't blog very often now but  I will try to blog more often..Yes I mean often hehe) and good night y'all..

Follow my Instagram / Twitter / Snapchat @sereneleticia for more instant updates and videos. See you guys there.

With love,
Serene

2 comments

  1. Pretty pictures and you are so courageous in deciding to travel alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip looks like it was so much fun! Btw you are so brave for travelling alone, I bet once you've done it you'd say it's not a big deal at all! and you look so pretty btw! Love your blog, you're so filled with positivity!
    Hope I could travel to Taiwan one day!
    would love it if you could check out my blog and follow me there!
    xx Lany xx
    urbanhippiekl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© SERENELETICIA. ALL IMAGE COPYRIGHTED BY SERENELETICIA.